Riot in Roseau on February 7th, 2017
Four (4) ‘public order events’ specialists from CARICOM are said to have arrived in Dominica, at the invitation of the DLP Administration, reportedly to investigate the activities that took place during the 7th February 2017 unrest in Roseau.
This was revealed by National Security Minister Rayburn Blackmoore, on state-owned DBS Radio today Friday 24th February. He said the team comprises of two police superintendents and two police sergeants, one of them being an Attorney.
Blackmoore said the team will assist in directing the existing investigation, reviewing all evidence gathered, submit reports to the Police Commissioner, & make recommendations based on their findings.
He said government recognizes and supports the right of Dominica’s citizens to self-expression, and has vowed to uphold the right to assembly & freedom of political expression, as given by the constitution.
However, he said in expressing that right, the right of others, and the laws of the land should not be violated. Blackmoore added that the disturbances were not normal, and stated that “the events of 7th February runs antithetical to what we stand for in Dominica, and affects and undermines all elements of society.”
Blackmoore further stated that all possible action must be taken to prevent this from happening again, in Dominica. He said this is a matter of tremendous public interest and he called on the public support and corporation.
Both opposition parties, UWP and DFP have distanced themselves from the disturbances, saying it took place several hours after their peaceful meeting had already ended. However, Prime Minister Skerrit has insisted that it was part of a plot to overthrow the DLP Government.
Current and past news stories.