DOC President Felix Wilson playing defence after IOC letter questions conduct, transparency & governance
DOC President Felix Wilson is playing defence, after and IOC letter raises questions about conduct, transparency & governance. Wilson has denied any wrongdoing, saying “We did absolutely nothing wrong”, and refutes claims made in the IOC letter, which was written by Director General of the IOC, Christophe De Kepper, and was addressed to Wilson.
The issues contained in the letter were brought to the attention of the IOC, by the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, to the effect that “the National Olympic Committee of Dominica (DOM) did not respect the terms and conditions of the Ticket Sales Agreement, and was in breach of IOC Codes of Conduct.”
The letter states that such a breach is unacceptable, and constitutes a serious warning, which will be taken into consideration in the future. It went on to say that the matter has highlighted a lack of transparency within the DOM. “In such context, the IOC urges the DOM to improve its model of management and governance, in order to be compliant with the principles of the Olympic Charter”.
The letter surfaced in the public domain on Tuesday, and has aroused great interest and discussion in Dominica. Many took to social media and the airwaves, saying there is corruption in the DOC.
In response, Wilson said the letter from the IOC made it sound as if tickets were sold to the Rio Games on the behalf of the DOC, but he said that is not the case. He said “Absolutely no tickets were sold by the DOC for the Rio 2016 Games. No one sold tickets on the behalf of the DOC.”
He explained that before an Olympic event, the DOC, like all Olympic Committees around the world, sign an agreement for ticket sales which could go two ways.
He remarked that the DOC told the Organizing Committee that it will not be selling tickets to the Rio Games.
“We got a response that it is okay from the Organizing Committee that you are no longer obligated to sell tickets or you will no longer be selling tickets, which is what transpired,” he stated. Wilson said he received a letter from the IOC while he was in Rio accusing the DOC of not adhering to the ticketing agreement.
“Using my cell phone, I responded to them that this is not the case, that is, we were removed from the agreement, we were not allowed to take on the sale of tickets by the Organizing Committee, and I even quoted the person who is responsible for the National Olympic Committees of the region, that is a Mr. Nicholas Robinson,” he stated. “He was the coordinator, I quoted him and copied my response to him via email on my phone.”
He added, “I also informed the IOC, and all who the letter was written to, that this was not an official response, I would have to get to the executive of the DOC, we will discuss their letter and respond officially on the letter head of the Olympic Committee.” To drive home his point, Wilson said the DOC had already received US$3,500 in royalties from World Sports Hospitality, which was initially contacted to represent the DOC, but the money was sent back.
“The royalties that they were offering the company who was selling on our behalf was US$10,000, we had received to date US$3,500 and we sent the monies back to it . We did not sell one ticket, so where is the corruption?” Wilson stated. He is also convinced that the letter from the IOC was leaked to the public from within the ranks of the DOC, adding that he is aware of the culprit, “but I will hold my peace.”
2 adult males of Fond Cole arrested on suspicion of burglary of Minya’s 7/11 in Canefield on August 29
Two adult males of Fond Cole have been arrested on suspicion of the burglary of Minya’s 7/11 in Canefield.
According to police reports, on Monday August 29, the criminal investigations unit responded to responded to a report of burglary where upon arrival, discovered two suspects exiting the building.
Police PRO Sergeant Pelham Jno-Baptiste has more details on the matter
The Dominica Air and Sea Ports Authority (DASPA) has announced that it is enhancing the Roseau Ferry Terminal, as the 2016 WCMF draws closer, and following its cancellation last year, due to the passage of Tropical Storm Erika.
Officials have promised that the 2016 festival, will be “bigger and much better” this year, and has a line-up made up of a diverse range of creole music, including Zouk and Haitian Kompas. In addition, to its launch in June 2016, the DFC undertook promotions in Guadeloupe & Martinique in late June. Michele Henderson and Leroy “Wadix” Charles were part of the promotions team in Martinique and Guadeloupe.
In anticipation of an even bigger audience from the French West Indies, DASPA says it is enhancing the Ferry Terminal on the Dame Mary Eugenia Charles Boulevard, as most Caribbean and French visitors use this medium of transportation, to get to the festival.
Chief Executive Officer, Mr Benoit Bardouille says of DASPA is seeking to ensure that visitors who use the Ferry Terminal are exposed to a pleasant experience and ambiance.
He says DASPA is not only focused on upgrading the Ferry Terminal’s physical infrastructure, but is also seeking to enhance the customer service provided to users of the facility.
Police report 1 Roseau man arrested on suspicion of fraud of EC $4500 deposit on land at Pointe Michel
One Roseau man has been arrested on suspicion of obtaining property by deception.
Police PRO Sergeant Pelham Jno-Baptiste stated that between August 16 and 19, one female of Fortune’ was defrauded out of XCD $4500, as a deposit for a portion of land in Pointe Michel.
Investigations continue into the matter.
Police are investigating an allegation of “Taking conveyance” of a bus in Morne Prosper without consent
Police are investigating an allegation of “Taking conveyance” in Morne Prosper.
According to Police PRO Sergeant Pelham Jno-Baptiste, the allegation, made by Irving Charles, noted that Toyota Hiace Bus # HE788 was taken without consent of owner Christopher Timothy, on Saturday August 27.
Police are soliciting the assistance of the public in the matter.
Dominica's New Ambassador to the United Nations Loreen Bannis-Roberts has described as a privilege and an honour to have been appointed to that position.
Bannis-Roberts presented her credentials to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon last week and has pledged to promote Dominica's interest at the World body.
She thanked PM Roosevelt Skerrit and his cabinet for entrusting her with the new position.
She says she looks forward to giving effective representation to Dominica
Bannis-Roberts says she will be promoting and safeguarding Dominica's interest at the UN.
She also had high praise for Dominica's Prime Minister, for appointing the first woman to the position, saying that he continues to give women equal opportunities to contribute to nation building.
Dominica's New Ambassador to the United Nations Loreen Bannis-Roberts
The National Labour Women's Organization is also adding its voice to those congratulating Ambassador Loreen Bannis-Roberts on her appointment as Dominica's Permanent Representative to the UN.
Bannis is taking over from Ambassador Vince Henderson.
Coordinator of the National Labour women's organization is Sonia Williams.
Williams says one woman's success should be that of every woman.
Coordinator of the DLP National Women's Organization Sonia Williams
A top education official is concerned about the physical attire of some teachers in Dominica.
Asst Chief Education Officer Dr Jeffrey Blaize says this will be a topic of discussion during the 2-day orientation sessions, which got underway at the Newtown Primary school Tuesday morning.
The Ministry of Education & Human Resource Development is hosting orientation sessions for new teachers, ahead of the new school year.
Dr Blaize says teachers have to view themselves as top professionals, and as such, their physical attire should reflect that.
Dr Blaize says this concern comes from personal visits from staff of the ministry of education to different schools.
Asst Chief Education Officer Dr Jeffrey Blaize
Trade Director disappointed in private sector attendance at Consumer Protection Law & Policy Workshop
Director of Trade Mathan Walter is expressing his disappointment in the lack of interest shown by the private sector, as Dominica seeks to enact a new consumer protection law.
The Ministry of Trade, Energy and Employment in collaboration with the Caribbean Development Bank under the CSME standby facility funded by the EU, has been hosting a 2-day workshop with stakeholders to discuss consumer protection law and policy.
Walter says Dominica cannot have a comprehensive and balanced consumer protection regime, without active involvement from the private sector.
Walter says all efforts are being made to ensure no Dominican says they are not aware of the bill's existence.
Director of Trade Mathan Walter
Police confirm report of body of 70-year-old man found in waters off the coast of Castle Bruce yesterday
The body of a man from Petite Soufriere, identified as 70-year-old Alphonsus Darroux, was found in waters off the coast of Castle Bruce yesterday, Tuesday August 30. According to a police report, Darroux was said to have gone rock fishing on Saturday, however when he did not return, his companion alerted the authorities.
Unsuccessful search parties were conducted until yesterday Tuesday, when the partly decomposed body of Darroux was discovered in the water of Castle Bruce.
Police PRO Sergeant Pelham Jno-Baptiste has more details on the matter.
Current and past news stories.