Dominica Freedom Party responds to the 20/21 Budget Address saying “we warn that our country is headed to a great disaster and that the bad governance of the Skerrit-led administration will make it worse”
The Dominica Freedom Party Responds to the 20/21 Budget Address saying “We warn that our country is headed to a great disaster and that the bad governance of the Skerrit-led administration will make it worst.”
Political leader of the Dominica Freedom Party, and Economist made surgery work of this year’s national Budget address by the prime minister.In an official release, the team leader broke down the presentation into 7 key components of that reveal not only where we are presently, but also trajectory of where we may be heading if we continue on this path.
Vital dissected this year’s budget, into the following subsections;
1. Lack of reporting on sustainable development outcomes“…. this 2020/21 budget presentation, like many previous budget presentations, woefully lacks reporting on outcomes achieved and that are being pursued.”
2. Excuses for failure“…. Over the last decade and more, the regime has moved from blaming the 2008 financial crisis, to blaming Tropical Storm Erica, then Hurricane Maria and now the COVID-19 Pandemic.
3. Misleading use of data“…. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the IMF has revised its projection to negative growth for 2020. But to conclude that Dominica was doing well based on what the IMF said prior to the COVID-19 crisis is the furthest thing from the truth.”
4. International Airport…. “The PM indicated that the properties to be purchased are worth $50.7 million; yet there was little budgetary allowance for this and the impression is this project is imminent! This surely looks like a smoke screen and we will look out for future excuses”
5. Misappropriation of funds …. “It should be noted that the Dominica Freedom Party has concerns over whether Dominica got good value for money with respect to the construction of the Roseau River Promenade to include a river wall. “
6. Budgetary proposals …. “the government won’t be able to raise adequate revenue if investors have no trust in the integrity and capability of the country’s leadership. Such constraints will never be reflected in a budget address by the PM that lacks integrity, but they are among the real issues that keep our country from making great progress.”
7. Other specific proposals ….He writes “The truth is that our country needs to be saved from the ruling regime that holds power illegitimately and are clearly out of their comfort zone. We warn that our country is headed to a great disaster and that the bad governance of the Skerrit-led administration will make it worst. Let us seek God for our deliverance.”
Leader of the DFP, Kent Vital.
Current and past news stories.