Antigua's Immigration Chief, Annette Mark, says her department has not found any record of entry for the convicted serial rapist and Dominican fugitive who was killed in Antigua, on Sunday, during an alleged shootout with police.
Mark says Kurt “Shabba” James might have entered the country illegally.
“I asked the staff to look and they haven’t found anything so far; we are waiting to get a passport to see what is in it,” she said.
Mark told OBSERVER media that the Immigration Department checked its electronic archives which has records from 2013 coming forward.
She added that immigration officers are in the process of checking hard copy records from years prior to 2013, even though the man’s whereabouts were accounted for in Dominica up to July 2015.
It is believed that James, who had several run-ins with the law in Dominica, fled from Dominica to Barbados last year and later ended up in Antigua & Barbuda.
Antigua police suspected James may have been committing crimes there and went to his apartment on Sunday to execute a search warrant and allege that James opened fire on them and he was shot after they returned fire.
Lawmen said they recovered two guns and ammunition from the scene at the apartment.
Current and past news stories.